Ektoise (formerly known as Purity Device)

Music, Tracks, Mixes - Showcase them here

Ektoise (formerly known as Purity Device)

Postby Reason777 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Thought I'd post some links up for my band Ektoise... We're a bit difficult to quantify really, we basically go by the concept of melding any/all forms of music that we appreciate into this one big diverse thing that expresses all manner of thoughts and feelings rather than one specific set. So since 2007 we've made music containing Alternative Rock, Electronica, Doom, Trip-Hop, Shoegaze, Avant-garde, Drone, Ambient, Power Electronics, Hardcore, Folk, Dance, Psychedelia, even some Pop...

Influences for the band (other than tBd, which is a little obvious :) include Coil, Autechre, Meshuggah, DJ Krush, Lisa Gerrard and Dead Can Dance, Throbbing Gristle, SoiSong, Devin Townsend, Massive Attack, Bola, Boards of Canada, Björk, Secret Chiefs 3, Mr Bungle, Underworld, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Tori Amos, Bass Communion, Neurosis, Isis, Grails, Cult of Luna, Melvins, Lustmord, Grizzly Bear, Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Edgard Varèse, Bernard Parmegiani, Diamanda Galás, Tool, Wu-Tang Clan, J Dilla, Monster Magnet, Ryuichi Sakamoto, The Mars Volta, Antony and the Johnsons, Nurse With Wound, Sade, Emperor, Blur, David Sylvian, Frank Zappa, Brian Wilson and '60s Beach Boys, Syd Barrett and his Pink Floyd, etc... Too many to list

http://www.ektoise.com For information, news, photos, gig posters, setlists, links, etc
http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/ High quality streaming and online store

Cheers!

Greg
Last edited by Reason777 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason777

Re: Purity Device (my genre-mashing band/thing)

Postby Babaluma » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm

great, i'll hit up your soundcloud page today!
Babaluma

Postby skept » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:04 pm

nice stuff you got there man. :)
skept

Postby Reason777 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for listening! Just posted another handful of tracks up on our SoundCloud account, these ones are more in dark/experimental vein.
Reason777

Re: Ektoise (formerly known as Purity Device)

Postby Reason777 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:10 pm

We decided to put the releases online a week early as we've been sitting on them for so bloody long! The CDs and vinyl are still being pressed but we've got pre-orders open for them and the digital versions (24bit FLAC, 320kps mp3 etc) are available for download now.

http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/

Remix/Reform features The Black Dog, Bola, Nic McConaghy, Tetra, Subsea, Tigermoth, Re:Enactment, Institute of Reason, Palindromic Resonance, Ambersound and myself while The Thought Police 7'' has edits of The Black Dog and Bola remixes.

The CD is a standard edition and comes bundled with a free download of the album in whatever format you choose. The 7'' is limited to 300 copies in full colour picture sleeves with colour labels. The first 27 of these will be hand-numbered and will include an exclusive insert.

Hope you enjoy!
Reason777

Postby Reason777 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:36 pm

We've just posted our debut album for free in all the formats (24bit FLAC, 320kps mp3 etc) so everyone can download and enjoy

http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/album/ektoise

We put this out last year under the old name but all our copies sold ages ago and when our Tunecore term was up I decided not to renew it but rather to give it a fresh mix, master it again, give it some better art and post it for free

The remix releases with The Black Dog, Bola etc are all based on this record so it'll give you a bit of context in that regard too!
Reason777

Postby skept » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:06 pm

this is good... cheers for sharing. :)
skept

Postby Reason777 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Cheers Nick! :P
Reason777

Postby Reason777 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

More freebies; this time we've got a short EP of twisted electronica from our resident computer wizard SUBSEA. aka Jim Grundy/Xanpha/Teapot etc

http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/album/subsea-mixes : 24bit FLAC, 320kps mp3 etc

Reason777

Postby Reason777 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm

The 7" vinyls finally arrived!!!!! I shipped out all the pre-orders immediately so those shouldn't be too far off now

Here's some pics:

and the art prints that have gone to the first 27 pre-orders

All of the numbered copies with prints have sold but standard copies are available here http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/album/the-thought-police
Reason777

Postby Babaluma » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 pm

great, looking forward to this! hope i got a cardy version!
Babaluma

Postby Reason777 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 am

You did indeed sir! Should be with you within a week I'd imagine
Reason777

Postby Babaluma » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:30 am

thanks dude! will let you know when it arrives. been on a bi of a 7" fixation recently (boney m double a side - brown girl in the ring and rivers of babylon, del sahnnon - runaway, petula clarke - downtown), so she'll be in good company!
Babaluma

Postby Reason777 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Wicked! I have Petula Clarke's Downtown 7" too but it's the 88 reissue with an awful remix on the b-side :o Wish I had Runaway on wax!
Reason777

Postby Babaluma » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 am

hey greg! just got the 7" and CD, thank you!
Babaluma

Postby chas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 pm

I love my 7" and the album is great too. Still gets regular plays!
chas

Postby Reason777 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 am

Awesome, glad you like it! We get pretty obsessive about making sure everything is exactly the way we want it so it's nice hearing that people can do repeated listens without getting sick of it :)
Reason777

Postby Reason777 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:24 pm

We're really excited to announce our forthcoming single Remember Well, which will be available for free download in the usual formats (24bit FLAC, 320kps mp3 etc) and also as a 3'' CD in card sleeve.

The single shows another stylistic variation and and is one of our few tracks to feature vocals. Most exciting of all for us is that there are two remixes by Danny Hyde (Coil, Aural Rage, THBC, PWEI etc). Danny worked on Love's Secret Domain, Black Antlers, The Remote Viewer, Worship the Glitch, Black Light District, Nasa Arab, Horse Rotorvator etc etc so it's a real pleasure to have him mangling our audio!

We'll post a link to the release on December 21st, in time for the Winter Solstice in Europe and the Summer Solstice here in Australia.
Reason777

Postby chas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Looking forward to it mate. 3" cd sounds exotic :D
chas

Postby Reason777 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 am

http://ektoise.bandcamp.com/album/remember-well

This single is something a little different from Ektoise and features remixes by Danny Hyde and Tetra. Danny produced Love's Secret Domain and a myriad of other Coil material, the Threshold HouseBoys Choir stuff and Coil's Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode remixes. He spent much of 2010 working with Peter Christopherson on Throbbing Gristle's Desertshore release (which may or may not see the light of day) as well as new THBC material and the Time Machines Legacy release.

Peter has been profoundly influential to us over the years and we're dedicating this release to his memory. It was sheer coincidence that Danny is involved, as we had planned that many months ago but it certainly adds a poignant touch to the whole thing.

This release will be available for free download in 24bit FLAC, 320kps mp3 etc indefinitely but we are also planning an extremely limited vinyl edition. By "extremely limited" we mean something in the vicinity of ten or fifteen copies, we're currently working out the logistics of that but we'll announce the details on our website when we have it all sorted.
Reason777

Postby Reason777 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Our first official video, for The Black Dog's remix of The Thought Police:

edit: erm ok so youtube links aren't working, click on this then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TO9mLBem0
Reason777

Postby Martin Dust » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Reason777 wrote:Our first official video, for The Black Dog's remix of The Thought Police:

edit: erm ok so youtube links aren't working, click on this then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TO9mLBem0

Doing it wrong:
Martin Dust

Postby Reason777 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:15 am

Ah cheers, I had the http:// script in there also! Thanks
Reason777

Return to tBd Saloon [Second Floor]